Serving Deaf and Hard of Hearing community in providing best life chances for its young people. Working as a part of the Burnaby School District team, the BC School for the Deaf strive to develop the full learning potential and positive self-identity of every student. While value is given to Deaf heritage, each student is encouraged to become a responsible, contributing member of the Deaf and hearing communities.
The BC School for the Deaf recognizes both American Sign Languages and English as languages of instruction for Deaf students.
The school believes that all students:
- Have the right to learn and be respected in a positive school climate
- Learn best in an environment that provides clear and effective communication
- Have access to a wide variety of programs and services
- Develop potential through an exposure to role models in the Deaf community
- Have the right to be themselves as Deaf individuals